Beedge & Aristi's Portland Trip - May 2005

Totty Trains
RSS Feed Atom Feed 
Other feeds
What's New 0 comments ]

Saturday 21st May
It all started when Beedge and Aristi decided that they would like to come along to our Red Sea 2005 trip. Beedge hadn't dived for about a year and Aristi hadn't dived for longer, so I said I'd go with them on a little trip down to Portland.

I said I'd meet them at Chesil Cove at about 11:30. I arrived at about 11:00, in time for a sausage and egg sarnie (can't be too careful....) and a quick cuppa. The AquaSplash hotel's café had new doors, so I was very excited about checking out the inside. However, I wasn't surprised to find that the inside was exactly the same as it had been before (including, fortunately, the bird with big norks to register for the diving).

I got to Chesil Cove at about 11:30, and went to look at the sea. It all looked very choppy, and not much fun. I was amazed to see what looked like an SMB out in the sea. About 15 minutes later, two divers (fairly well built blokes) appeared, and took about 10 minutes to get out of the water. It looked like a lot of hard work.

After driving around every car park in Dorset, Beedge and Aristi arrived at about 12:15. After having looked at the sea, they agreed that it wasn't a very good idea to dive. Back in Castletown, I managed to blag a free parking space on the road directly opposite the AquaSplash car park, so intended to leave the car there all weekend. No driving, and no having to pay for parking.

Aristi went off to watch some football match in the pub, while Beedge and I jumped on an AquaSplash charter to a 30m wreck (the BenJika, or something like that). As most AquaSplash charters seem to be, the boat was full with techie guvnas. Beedge realised that he'd forgotten his weight belt, so we had to run around the dive shops at the last minute, trying to hire on!

I got on the boat, and was disappointed to see that we had the stroppy skipper that Jon Hayhurst and I had been subjected to last year - he still acted like a man in good need of a blow-job:
Me: My mate's forgotten his weight belt. Can you give him 5 minutes to hire one.
Him: Yes [starting the timer on his watch]. The 5 minutes starts now.
Me: OK. I don't know much about this wreck, what can you tell me.
Him: Oh, it's at about 180m.

Anyway, Beedge arrived fairly quickly and, after a quick worry about him not having a hood, we set off. It was really bumpy on the way out, and one bloke was very sick. Beedge and I had to be in last, because the skipper had asked me to send up the shot (the size of Cat's tits) with a lifting bag. After waiting for ages, the solo rebreather diver threw up over the side, and decided not to dive.

In we went. After a lot of gimmering around with the shot and the lifting bag, we continued with our dive. I can't remember much about what we saw, but there were quite a few tempting swim-throughs. Wanting to avoid a decompression dive, the dive didn't last long, and the safety stop was fairly good, despite the rough sea.

I had hoped to do a 50m dive with Dindin at 9am the next morning, but all off-shore diving had been cancelled for Sunday, because of the weather. That's a pity, but it did mean that we could have loads of beer in the evening, because we weren't due to dive again until 2pm.

We checked into the Royal Breakwater Hotel - a very sexy barmaid checked us in after Aristi had almost woken the dead by ringing the bell on the bar!

Anyway, after a quick shower, we headed off to the Cove House Inn for dinner. I saw a large group of people walking in the same direction, so we sped up to try to get there first. We managed it, but there weren't any tables free. Still, we had all evening, so ordered some drinks and waited around for a free table. The pub served Stella, but Beedge and Aristi insisted on putting lime in the top of it.

We were served by a very sexy barmaid (she looked a bit like Cat, and had the tits to match). There was another brunette there - smaller boobs, but just as sexy. I had a feeling that I was going to enjoy the evening!

I saw some people moving, so pounced on the empty table. The food and service was excellent, and we drank quite a few Stellas! Back at the hotel, the front door was closed, so we had to go through the bar. It seemed rude just to walk through without buying anything (and without perving at the barmaid), so we stayed for another round.

Sunday 22nd May
The hotel stopped serving breakfast at 11am, so we surfaced at about 10:30, and headed downstairs. The service wasn't brilliant, but the waitress was totty, and did bend over lots! Walking passed the cleaners when we went to empty the room was excellent - one had a low-cut top and enormous boobs.

It was then time to check-out of the hotel, and wander around the dive shops. I wanted a single-tank adapter and a DIN - 2 x DIN splitter. The DiveRight single-tank adapters were on sale at £35, so I had one of those. I couldn't find a DIN splitter anywhere.

Aristi didn't fancy diving because, even inside the harbour, it was quite choppy, so Beedge and I went on the charter, along with two other guvnas. We were diving the Spaniard, and I was glad that one of the other guvnas was using a twin-set for a 15m dive! We came to the conclusion that my DIN splitter would be no good, because it would probably bash me on the head.

Our skipper was Dave, who seemed nice and friendly (well, anybody would after yesterday's skipper). Beedge and I did about a 25-minute dive, and I tried using my emergency SMB (which worked fine, and the skipper could see OK), and mistakenly let Beedge navigate.

As we were drinking our hot chocolates (cheers Dave), and SMB appeared, closely followed by a diver. His buddy was nowhere to be seen. We got the diver back on the boat, and Dave was keeping his eye out for the other diver. Talking to the diver, it appeared that his SMB reel had jammed, and he had surfaced from about 15m in "a few seconds". I told Dave, and said that I thought he should be put on oxygen. He agreed and I took over, while Dave kept an eye out for the other diver. Fortunately, I had sat in on the O2 administration course only a few weeks before hand, so knew exactly what to do and what to look for. The other diver appeared a few minutes later, and was OK.

I suppose that I shouldn't really go into other people's medical details on my website, so I won't discuss the diver's quick ascent any more. We headed back to shore, unloaded the boat, and packed all our dive kit away. As always, there was time for a quick cuppa before we left.


Bookmark with:
Post to Delicious Post to Digg Post to reddit Post to Facebook Post to StumbleUpon Post to Furl 

© 2002-2021. [ Contact me ] [ Site Map ] [ Guestbook ][ Privacy ]
Created on: 22 May 2005. Modified on: 22 May 2005.
Valid HTML 4.01
Valid CSS